Home FAQs

By Buildings we mean the actual structure of your house including all fixtures and fittings, outbuildings, garages, greenhouses, photovoltaic panels, solar water heaters, swimming pools, terraces, patios, driveways, footpaths, walls, gates, hedges and fences. The value to be insured is the cost of rebuilding the home as new and not its current market value. The insured value must neither include the value of the land or site upon which the home is built.

Contents includes all the items in your home such as furniture, furnishings, carpets, floor coverings, household appliances and equipment, linen, cooking utensils and provisions, collections, toys, garage equipment, garden equipment, radios, video cassette recorders, Hi-Fi equipment, home computers, frozen foods and provisions, sports equipment, cycles, furs, jewellery, watches, cameras and other valuables.

The basis of cover under this section is on a new for old basis and the sum insured must therefore represent the cost of replacing all the contents of your household as new.

High Risk Items are items of contents which are often attractive to thieves. These are televisions, personal computers, audio and video equipment, jewellery, gold, silver and articles of precious metal, clocks, watches, cameras, furs, pictures, works of art, curios and collections of stamps or coins.

All Risks Items are covered whilst temporarily removed to anywhere within the Maltese Islands on an “All Risks” basis. This optional cover is recommended for items that are taken regularly out of your home such as jewellery, articles of gold, silver or other precious metals, watches, and other adornments. Moreover extensions may be obtained to extend the cover to Europe or Worldwide.

The standard cover provided by the policy for theft includes cover if the theft is not accompanied by forcible and violent entry into or exit from the building. However, the full theft cover does not apply in cases where the property is being rented out.

New for old means that we will replace the item(s) you are claiming for with new ones of the same make and specification. The only exception is clothing and household linen

No, it is not necessary to list all items. However, it is necessary to list high risk items that are worth more than €2,000 to be insured under the contents section.

It is not recommended that you insure part of the value of your contents and of your buildings. We strongly suggest that you establish what it would cost you to rebuild your property and replace your contents.

If you under-insured, any claim you make will be reduced by the proportion that you under-insure. For example, if your contents are valued at €50,000 and you insure them for €25,000 (i.e. you under-insured by 50%) and then make a claim for €5,000 you will only be entitled to receive €2,500.

Your home policy would protect you if damage to your home or its contents is caused by an insured peril such as fire, explosion or impact even if this was caused as a result of the works that your neighbour is carrying out. If, however, the damage is not caused by an insured peril, such as cracks appearing on your walls, then your remedy is to seek compensation from your neighbour or the building contractor.

The standard cover provides accidental damage cover to non-portable televisions, audio, video, computer equipment and game consoles. Also, accidental breakage or collapse of television and radio aerials, satellite dish, aerial fittings and masts. Accidental breakage of mirrors, plate glass tops to furniture and fixed glass in furniture is deemed to be covered as well.

As a homeowner or a tenant, you have certain responsibilities at law. If, for example, your neighbour's house or a car parked in front of your home, is damaged as a result of an accident that was caused through a negligent act or omission on your part, you will be responsible to compensate them for such damage. The policy protects you against this risk.

Third Party Liability is automatically covered under the policy as follows:

If you have insured your Buildings only:

As owner

If you have insured your Contents:

As occupier

Personal Liability:

As a Tenant

The maximum amount payable under this section is €600,000.

As an Employer of Domestic Staff you become legally liable to pay compensation in respect of accidental death, bodily injury or illness arising out of and in the course of such employment. The maximum amount payable under this section is of €2,400,000.

Yes, some sections do have an excess and normally this amounts to €35.

An excess of €100 is applicable for each and every loss occasioned directly or indirectly by storm, tempest or flood. 10% of each and every loss in respect of property below street level, including basements, semi basements and underlying garages with a minimum of €500.

The first 0.5% of the total sum insured at the time of loss or damage occasioned directly or indirectly by earthquake subject to a minimum of €500.


We require that you notify us immediately or within a reasonable time and submit a completed claim form, technical reports, repair and replacement quotation(s), Third Party details etc. We reserve the right to request further evidence or proof to substantiate your claim. Please make sure you give us as much information as possible and we will then guide you accordingly.

You should preferably ask for a quotation and wait for our approval prior to authorising repairs. However, we understand that under abnormal circumstances a quick decision has to be taken to minimise the damage. In this respect, provided damaged items are kept (where applicable) and amount being claimed is reasonable, you should not find any difficulty being reimbursed.

Under normal circumstances, a home insurance premium does not increase if you have a claim.